Jerry Maisa Merabe obtained the degrees B.Juris (1998) and LLB (2003) from the former VISTA University (Bloemfontein Campus) and the LLM (2015) degree from the Free state University by full research dissertation in education law.
Adv Merabe also attended the Law Society’s School for Legal Practice and passed the Attorneys Board examination in September 2015.
Adv Merabe previously occupied the positions of State Prosecutor, Head of Anti-Fraud and Corruption Unit and operated at strategic level as the Director for Legal Services at the Free State Department of Education from December 2006 to January 2016.
Here are some of the cases that Adv Merabe worked on:
- Head of Department, Department of Education, Free state v Welkom & Harmony High Schools 2014  SA228 (CC)
- Federation of Governing bodies for South African Schools c MEC for Education, Gauteng and Another 2016 (4) SA 546 (CC)
- University of the Free State v Afriforum and Another 2017 1 All SA 79 (SCA)
- MEC: Department of Education Northwest Province v FEDSAS (Case Number: 021/2016) 2016 ZASCA 192
- Federation of Governing Bodies of South African Schools v Head of Department: Department of Northern Cape and Another (Case Number: 887/2016)
- Radebe and Another v Premier, Free State & Others 2012  SA 100 (LAC)
During Adv Merabe’s tenure in Government, he was a member of the Ministerial Task Team that advised the Ministry of Basic Education and Council of Education Ministers about their statutory functions and development of broad issues on basic education matters and participated in the drafting of various national and provincial legislations.
Fields of Expertise
Adv Merabe’s preferred areas of practice include:
- Education Law, that he specialises in and handled for more than 10 years
- General Motion Court Work
- Government Procurement
- Constitutional Law
- Commercial Law
- Administrative Law
- Labour Law
- Criminal Law
Adv Merabe is also a contributor to Juta’s Education Law and Policy Handbook (2015) and presented various academic papers in education law at Annual International Conferences.
Date of Admission
17 July 2003
(t) +2711 223 8000
(t) +2711 223 8227
(f) +2711 223 8004
(m) +2771 204 2370